Go Go Power Rangers! Semi-Handmade Costume!
Now that the boys are past the toddler stage and are full-blown kids with minds of their own, they have zero interest in letting me choose their Halloween costumes. I try gently guiding them in a creative/artsy fartsy direction, but it’s no use! So this year, Huck wants to be a black ninja. Which is, like, the most boring Halloween costume of all time! I mean, it will be super cute, I’m sure, but for my creative impulses, it’s not very fun. Huck won’t even let me embellish his costume with a golden dragon or fierce tiger. He is firmly set on being an all black ninja. So black sweats tied up with black cord it is…sigh. I like a little more challenge. So when Milo changed his mind from being another ninja, to being the red Samurai Power Ranger, I actually got excited. I’ll take what I can get!
The mask is obviously store-bought, but I made the top and belt. There are still a few things to add on. His white gloves are in the mail right now, and I want to cover the firefighter symbols on his rain boots with the Power Ranger Samurai logo. But I feel satisfied that there is some level of handmade-i-ness (that’s a real word, by the way. Don’t look it up!).
The first thing I did was to attach a white futuristic-style, mock turtle neck to a red long-sleeve t-shirt. I used knit materials so it would stretch over his head. I did a tutorial for this over on Rae Gun Ramblings for Marissa’s awesome Handmade Halloween Series. That tutorial is called:
The collar works for all kinds of sci-fi costumes, so if that’s what you’re doing this year, you should go check it out! Not just my tute, but the whole series, because she has some pretty great ideas going on over there.
After sewing on the collar, it was time to add the Y-shaped stripes to the front. You could do this using freezer paper, but I used regular old packing tape to mask off the area.
I made sure to wrap the tape around the edge of the shirt.
At the junction of the two lines, I lifted up the tape and carefully cut out the middle bit.
Ending up with this.
Then, with a piece of cardboard between the layers, I used a pouncer sponge brush to add some white Tulip So Soft paint with a Velveteen finish. This needed two layers of paint to fully coat it, allowing the paint to dry between coats. I used the instructions on the bottle to puff it up and give it a nice texture, too.
Once the paint was fully dry, I peeled off the tape and TA-DA! A very pretty Y. I almost left it like this, but then I decided that I really should paint the back, too. I’m glad I did, because it looks like a much more complete costume.
So I taped up the back, making sure to match up the edges of the white stripes in the front, and put down several pieces of tape to arc around the collar. This left a few little points, but I smoothed those out using a paintbrush later, and it came out just fine. Two coats of paint, just like on the front.
I also went into the seam with a flat paintbrush to touch up the material that was showing through.
Then, once the white layer was totally dry, I let it sit overnight and then heat set it with an iron. This is important! I tried to get away with doing it right after, but the tape peeled off some of the white paint. So you have to make sure the white layer is totally set before proceeding. When mine was, I did the whole thing again, making a narrower Y shape in black.
And I ended up with this cuteness! I also made a small freezer paper stencil to make the Power Rangers logo, but I didn’t document that.
Milo really loves it. He loves it even more because I won’t let him wear it until Halloween (or Halloween parties, or whatever). As long as it is off-limits, he won’t change his mind and want to go back to being a ninja!
And remember, if you want to check out how I made that collar, pop over to Rae Gun Ramblings today!