Hideous! Dreadful! Stinky! is now accepting craft and sewing tutorial proposals and submissions.
To be considered:
Tutorials must not currently appear anywhere else online, including your own blog.
If you already have a great tutorial published on your blog, and you’d like to be considered as an unpaid Guest Poster, please scroll to the bottom and read the info under “Guest Posting.”
You don’t have to have a blog, but I will need to see samples of your writing and photography skills.
What I’ll publish:
Tutorials must be original content, written by you with step-by-step photos.
Photo quality is very, very, very important.
Topics will range across all arts & crafts: sewing, felting, knit & crochet, papercraft, jewelry making, etc. etc. etc.! Crafting for and with kids is a big focus, but I love any practical project with a fun twist.
Think clever, loose, silly and fun! Projects on Hideous! Dreadful! Stinky! should always feel accessible and doable, with freedom to experiment. Never rigid or overly stiff. I like to share the messy bits and imperfections. Although, I always like to share them beautifully 🙂
What I won’t publish:
I do not accept any article that is not a craft tutorial by an independent blogger or maker. Featured guest posts are for sharing handmade, artful creations. I do not accept posts with advertising or affiliate or SEO links or promotional articles. If you are interested in advertising or a sponsored post with Hideous! Dreadful! Stinky!, please see the Sponsor page.
Send an email to email@example.com with the subject “Tutorial Proposal” and the following info:
1. A brief proposal/outline of the tutorial you would like to submit. Proposals ONLY, please! Publication is not guaranteed, so please do not spend the time to complete and send full posts until your proposal has been accepted!
2. Please attach or link to photos you have taken. I cannot accept any proposal without seeing photo quality samples.
3. Sketches or Inspiration Boards to help me visualize the finished product are helpful, but not required.
4. A link to your blog, if applicable, including links to tutorials you have done in the past are also helpful.
$50 per published tutorial.
You retain ownership of all posts and photos, but agree that tutorials published on my blog will not appear in their entirety anywhere else online except for Hideous! Dreadful! Stinky! (Short teaser post using 1-2 images on your own blog/social media/round-ups are fine and encouraged!) You are free to use the tutorial/photos in print publications. You are also free to make/sell/manufacture products from your ideas. In other words, you are giving me exclusive online license to post your tutorial on my blog, but I will not own the post, photos or ideas you share with me. You are not giving me rights to publish your posts in print, or to make & sell products from your tutorials.
An “About the Maker” link crediting you and linking to your blog and social media outlets will be included at the end of the tutorial.
1. Once submitted, I should return an email to you within 48 hours. If you have not heard from me by then, please send an inquiry email with no attachments to make sure your first email was not routed to my Spam folder.
2. If your proposal is accepted, we will work out a publishing date, finalize details, and you will submit the post to me via email.
3. IMPORTANT: At this time, I only have the budget to accept 1-2 paid tutorials per month, so proposals may be accepted, but it may be several months before your tutorial appears on my blog. If the timeline is not acceptable, see the Guest Posting option below.
In a Guest Post, the full tutorial lives on your blog and I would host a short teaser post on my blog with 1-2 images. Readers would then click through to your blog for the full tutorial.
Because the full tutorial does not live on my blog, Guest Posts are not paid. They are, however, a great outlet for bloggers looking to share their work with my readers.
Favorite Tools & Products
My hand-picked favorite supplies are all together in my Amazon Associate's Store: